Tuesday, September 25, 2007

While you're waiting

Haven't posted much lately. Been busy. Sorry 'bout that. I've got a couple of posts in the making, but they are taking a bit longer than I expected. I hope to get to them soon.

I was just flipping through a math text and came across this newspaper clipping that I had been using as a bookmark. I thought that I would offer its contents to keep you entertained until I can give you something better.

"Things aren't always what they seem. the cucumber, for instance, is not a vegetable -- technically, it's a fruit

So are the tomato, eggplant, pumpkin, squash, gherkin, green beans, corn, avocados and okra.

Rhubarb is botanically a vegetable, not a fruit.

A banana tree isn't a tree; it's an herb.

A peanut is not a nut; it's a legume.

The onion is a lily, botanically speaking.

'Cooking is at once one of the simplest and most gratifying of the arts, but to cook well, one must love and respect food.'
-- Craig Claiborne."

-- Sara Perks, The Hamilton Spectator.

The contents of this newspaper clipping do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author of this blog, nor does it necessarily reflect the facts of botany.

No comments: